Aug 3, 2010

The Secrets of the Universe


I needed to read a book.


Like you do, you know? I needed to read a book. So I went over to the shelf, and I wasn't really making a conscious choice. My hand just reached out of its own accord and selected my old copy of Jack Kerouac's Desolation Angels. I probably hadn't read it in five, six, seven years, and really couldn't remember much about it, but my hand made a beeline for it.


I stick the book in my bag and head off to an appointment. I'm sitting in a waiting room, break out the book, and crack it open. Inside the book, I find a little note that I had written for myself years and years ago. It said:


Tell The Truth Faster.


I lost my breath. It was exactly what I needed to hear. That place, that day, that moment...exactly what I needed.


Then I knew--my younger self left this for me. I left this for myself years ago so that I could discover it at this exact moment. Because at this exact moment, I need to remember to tell the truth faster.


How could I possibly know that? . . . Unless I have unlocked the secrets of the Universe. Time travel, anyone?

No comments: